Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 30 08:40:00 EDT 1999

Hugo Parra wrote:

> We've said that IPP Notification would allow printers to use
> "general-purpose" Event Notification Services available to them
> on the network.  By not supporting straight TCP notification we
> might be hampering the implementation of this requirement.  I
> don't understand why supporting the suggested three application-
> level protocols should preclude us from allowing straight TCP
> subscriptions that can be easily routed through network
> notification services.

The problem is that using a direct TCP or UDP type of connection does
not allow any kind of error checking, and makes receiving multiple
messages over the same link potentially dangerous.

There is talk of defining a (simple) alternate transport protocol for
IPP that can be used over things other than TCP/IP (in fact, I think
it's one of the things on the new IPP charter?), and that would
probably allow a direct TCP or UDP connection for notification.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com
    "Your logic is impeccable, Captain.  We are in grave danger."