IPP> Notification Requirements document from the IPP WG - <http://www. ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-03.txt>

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Aug 26 20:20:27 EDT 1999

Guys,

The IPP WG has been looking round for suitable delivery protocols for
notifications for quite some time.

We intend to provide mechanisms for requesting printer and print job
notifications as part of the IPP protocol (which is mapped on top of HTTP),
but need something else when sending notifications from a printer back to a
user or administrator.

Several people in our WG have suggested that IM might be the way for us to
go, at least as one of several possible ways of delivering notifications.

We have recently updated our requirements document in this area.

A couple of assumptions that we have made is that the protocol and delivery
destination can be expressed in a URL, and that the content of the message
could be a MIME object. We may need to live with whatever the chosen
protocol allows when it comes to maximum message size.

Hope that somebody in your WG can find the time to check our requirements
document and give us feedback if you think IM could provide a suitable
delivery mechanism for us.

The url for that document is:

	  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-03.txt

Thanks,

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair of IETF IPP WG

Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com