Glen Zorn gwz at acm.org
Fri Oct 29 16:18:41 EDT 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 harryl at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Perhaps I am the one who misunderstands the overall purpose of the
> "phonebook" or the context of it's use but I would say
>
> 1. OK... so it's the "only" fax number not the preferred one. So it's the
> "only" printer not the preferred. (Typically, I see fax and print devices
> scattered largely about in great multiplicity so I think this distinction
> is minor... but I'll go with it)
>
> 2. The purpose of putting the printer URL is analogous to putting the FAX
> number. Why would using the print URL irritate the ISP any more than using
> the FAX machine? (Obviously, don't include a URL to your desktop printer if
> you don't want remote jobs to land there).

The service provider data is _contact_ info.  The FAX number is there in
case the roaming user needs to _send_ the ISP a FAX (perhaps a screen
print) to help out customer support in solving a problem.  It's not there
so the user can send faxes from (or receive faxes at) that number.

> 3. The printer would not necessarily be far from the roaming user ... at
> least no more so than the FAX machine. (Here, is where maybe my
> understanding of the use of the "phonebook" is weak).
>
> In general, my request for a print URL in addition to a FAX number reflects
> the continued consolidation of device features where print, scan, copy,
> local print, remote print, fax, e-mail are more frequently being
> consolidated into a locale (device, kiosk or otherwise integrated
> solution). I think it makes sense to accommodate this in the architecture
> of your "phonebook".

That may be so.  It's worth some thought, anyway.