Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Nov 4 19:15:15 EST 1999

Ron,

Actually, I thought that it would be easier to get a firewall administrator
to let in a harmless trickle of IPP notifications over HTTP, if they
couldn't get confused with other traffic.  Most administrators don't let
HTTP in, only HTTP out, correct?

I have been told that different firewalls have different filter mechanisms,
some on ports, some on MIME types, and some on HTTP methods (needs to be
verified).  Therefore, I thought that making the port, MIME types, and HTTP
method all different from ordinary HTTP web access requests would give the
administrator the most flexibility to allow IPP Notifications where he/she
might not allow other HTTP protocol requests.

I couldn't agree more with Ron on getting IETF IESG feedback and input on
this topic!

Lets get IETF IESG input on this.  Those attending the IETF meeting next
week in Washington, please get this feedback.

Keith,

Our INTERNET-DRAFT on this delivery method that uses HTTP is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-http-delivery-00.txt

We'd appreciate your feedback on this delivery method.

Thanks,
Tom