IPP> Notifications Over SNMP Traps

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Dec 13 13:26:28 EST 1999

Hi Ron,

I agree with your reasoning.  The URL type 'ipp-snmp:' was just
a placeholder.

Note that SNMP notifications (in SNMPv2 and SNMPv3) may be delivered
either by a Trap (unacknowledged) or an Inform-Request (which should
be acknowledged by the receiver with an Inform-Response).  The choice
of Trap versus Inform is up to the subscriber.  I suggest that a better
scheme name might be 'snmp-notify:' (since ASN.1 definitions in MIBs
use the 'NOTIFICATION-TYPE' macro).

Assuming there is no other objection to beginning the inquiry
and registration process from another IPP WG member, would you
please initiate the inquiry to the SNMP mailing list?  I'll be
happy to work with you, Ron, on phrasing the background for our
request.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp)
  High North Inc
  360-834-8744 (work at Sharp w/ voice mail)