Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Tue Jan 5 13:30:47 EST 1999

At our Tucson meeting, James Kempf indicated that one important feature of the new version of SLP is that templates support inheritance.  The template associated with one scheme (e.g., printer.ipp:) can thus inherit standard attributes from another more basic template (e.g., printer:) and extend it with the mandatory and optional attributes that are only relevant to IPP printers.  I suspect (and in some cases I know for a fact) that a variety of printers (besides those supporting IPP and lpr) will want to use the printer: template (or a derivative thereof) to advertise their existence on the network.

Is this effort the definition of the basic printer template or of the IPP extensions to that basic template?  I don't think they are one and the same as attributes that are mandatory in IPP may be optional or non-existent in other protocols and thus cannot be mandatory in the printer: template.

-Hugo