IPP> SLP 'printer:' template comments

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jan 8 18:26:07 EST 1999

The only issue/question I have is whether making more attributes OPTIONAL is
a good idea, versus keeping them MANDATORY with unknown as the default.  In
fact, we might want to make more attributes MANDATORY with unknown as the
default value.

The answer to which depends on the search filter mechanism in SLPv1 and
SLPv2 and whether you can specify a 'not-present' as part of the filter in
both or not.  If you can, then not present is the same as being present with
an unknown value and we can have few MANDATORY and many OPTIONAL attributes.
However, if you can't  specify 'not-present' in a filter in SLPv1, then
there is real advantage to having the unknown value, to making many
attributes MANDATORY, and to have the SLP server default the value to
unknown, if the device doesn't include the attribute in its registration.

See my other comments below.

Tom

 I think we agreed to add "unknown" to many of the attributes.  All the
attributes?

>10. sides-supported, consider making optional.
>11. media-supported, make optional.
>12. media-local-supported, make optional.
>13, print-quality-supported, consider removing.  Print quality
>is so printer-specific that I question the benefit of having
>it as an SLP search criteria.

I agree.

>14. copies-supported, rename to max-copies-supported.  For
>clarification.

Good idea.  So the attribute is the maximum number of copies, not min and
max
as in IPP.  So since it is a different attribute than IPP, its better to
have a different (and clearer name).

>15. job-k-octets-supported, rename to max-job-l-=octets-supported.

I assume you meant: max-job-k-octets-supported.  I agree for the same
reason.

>16. printer-mechanism-types, consider adding.

What is the semantics of this attribute?