Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jan 13 11:33:47 EST 1999

I updated the Implementer's Guide from the December meeting (see minutes)
and the e-mail discussion.  I've also created a new sub-directory for the
Implementer's Guide following our usual conventions:  new_IIG.  So we can
put IIG in the subject lines as well.  The files are at:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_IIG/ipp-implementers-guide-990108-rev.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_IIG/ipp-implementers-guide-990108-rev.pdf
Here is the change history:
6.1	Changes to produce the January 8, 1999 version from the December 6,
1998 version:
1.	Added section 3.6.2:  Warning About the Use of Chunked Requests with
CGI Script Implementations
2.	Section 2.2.1.2:  changed "printer-operations-supported" to
"operations-supported".
3.	Section 2.2.1.6:  changed "job-media-supported" to
"job-media-sheets-supported"
4.	Section 2.2.3:  separated the validation checks for variable length
attributes into two separate tests: one for correct attribute syntax and one
for correct length.
5.	Section 2.2.3:  changed "multiple-document-handling-supported" to
"printer-resolution-supported"
6.	Section 2.6.1:  recommended that an IPP object also support US-ASCII
charset.
7.	Section 3:  Clarified that a server is not required to send a
response until after it has received the client's entire request, but
recommend that the server return a response as soon as possible if an error
is detected while the client is still sending the data, rather than waiting
until all of the data is received.  Also recommended that a client listen
for an error response that an IPP server MAY send before it receives all the
data.

I have left to do the following things from last meeting (new line numbers):

Line 1060, Section 2.3.1.1 - There was some discussion on the use and
support of UTF-8. Evidently there is still some debate about the amount of
effort involved in actually supporting the character set. Tom volunteered to
raise the issue on the reflector for further discussion.

Line 1102 - The document should clarify what is meant by "closest version."
Specifically, a more detailed description of the version negotiation process
should be included.

Perhaps we can discuss these last two items at the telecon today?

Tom Hastings
(310) 333-6413