Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jan 13 12:24:10 EST 1999

For the telecon today, the entire paragraph in Section 3 of the IIG that I
posted reads:

A server is not required to send a response until after it has received the
client's entire request.  Hence, a client must not expect a response until
after it has sent the entire request.  However, we recommend that the server
return a response as soon as possible if an error is detected while the
client is still sending the data, rather than waiting until all of the data
is received.  Therefore, we also recommend that a client listen for an error
response that an IPP server MAY send before it receives all the data.  In
this case a client, if chunking the data, can send a premature zero-length
chunk to end the request before sending all the data (and so the client can
keep the connection open for other requests, rather than closing it). If the
request is blocked for some reason, a client MAY determine the reason by
opening another connection to query the server using Get-Printer-Attributes.

Thanks,
Tom