Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Thu Jan 14 19:55:21 EST 1999

Hi Carl,

I'll try to explain my point better.  While an IPP client MAY submit
a print job in any language, including one NOT supported for messages
by the printer, the results are unsatisfactory.  All of the status
messages and (in the future) event notifications from the job will
be delivered in the language specified by 'natural-language-configured'
(which may very well be unintelligible gibberish to the client user),
if the job is submitted in an 'unsupported' language.

Therefore, to submit a job to the IPP printer that can be usefully
monitored by the client user (human user), it is highly desirable to
submit in one of the languages declared to be supported with message
catalogs in 'generated-natural-language-supported' (IPP attribute),
i.e., 'natural-language-supported' (SLP 'printer:' template attribute).

The premise of SLP is that the advertised URL(s) are immediately and
directly usable for submitting a request to the advertised service
WITHOUT further inquiry to the service itself (recall that IPP stands
almost alone in clearly advertising capabilities and features, among
print protocols).

Hope that helps,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  716-461-5667