Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Feb 16 21:08:07 EST 1999

In Maui, we started to simplify the section 3.6.2 on the problems with
Chunking in the Implementer's Guide.
Carl-Uno and I have attempted to finish the simplification of the Chunking
discussion to this simple section.  Is this a sufficient warning to client
implementers?
We would like to discuss this on the Wednesday, 2/17 telecon.

3.6.2	Warning About the Use and Support of Chunked Requests
This section describes some problems with the use of chunked requests and
IPP servers.
Some HTTP/1.1 implementations support chunked responses in the GET method,
but do not support chunked POST method requests, in spite of the HTTP/1.1
standard requirements.
Some HTTP/1.1 implementations that support CGI scripts and/or servlets do
not accept chunked POST method requests.  These implementations MAY reject
the method and return a 411 status code (Length Required), MAY attempt to
buffer the request and run out of room returning a 413 status code (Request
Entity Too Large), or MAY successfully accept the chunked request.
The HTTP/1.1 standard does not guarantee that an origin server will accept
chunked requests, regardless of the resource identified in the request.

Tom Hastings
(310) 333-6413