Richard Shockey rshockey at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 17 20:23:54 EST 1999

>> Then I agree as well that "tiff-profiles-supported" would be a proper
>> additional attribute to develop.
>>
>> And there are 6 profles.
>>
>> Profile S, F, J, C, L and M
>>
>> To quote from what should have been in the IANA registry.
>>
>> New Value(s): faxbw, faxcolor
>
>If the attribute specifies the profile (tiff-profiles-supported) isn't
>this a better resolution than 'faxbw' and 'faxcolor'?  Are you proposing
>an attribute such as "tiff-applications-supported" which would only
>include 'faxbw' and 'faxcolor'?  The BW vs Color can be determined from
>the "color-supported" Printer Description attribute and the profiles give
>even better information.

Ok ... I see your point ... this would start to nest attributes which looks
like a rathole.
IMHO the (tiff-profiles-supported) as described in RFC2301 is the most
important thing IPP to  define and support. If the client polled for "color
supported"  and the server returned a "NO" by definition this would
eliminate Profiles C, L & M.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110