IPP> IPP2IFAX BOF - HI-FI DOCS Tuesday 16

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 4 18:56:38 EST 1999

For the BOF agenda, I'd like to hear about the concern about using the "FAX"
word in the name of the project (and resulting standard).

It seems to me that there is a great benefit of immediate understanding of
using the name "FAX" (or some obvious derivative of it, such as IFAX or PFAX
or some other letter prefix).  Also, it seems that it would help get the ITU
involved as well.

If the concern is with overlap with Full Mode IFAX, the Full Mode IFAX has a
number of advantages and the IFAX over IPP has a number of advantages.
Can't there be two "transport" bindings of the same "FAX-like" semantics?
One using SMTP transport and the other using IPP transport?

Thanks,
Tom