IPP> V1.1 Last Call

Larry Masinter masinter at parc.xerox.com
Thu Mar 11 16:24:27 EST 1999

The charter of the IPP working group is to produce
a standards track protocol for Internet Print.
The working group was ready to complete a standards-track
document, but got distracted into producing an "Experimental"
RFC because of difficulties with the minor additions of
the new IPP scheme and a standard security mechanism.
Now that we've worked through those two minor additions,
it's time (well past) to actually create a standard.

Those who are not interested in having a standard
for Internet Print Protocol are not working on the
goals  established by the charter of the working group.

We have years of effort invested in creating a
standard for Internet Printing. If we don't complete
this task, the work will have been wasted.

Working groups that fail to make progress toward the
milestones of the charter can be disbanded.

I understand that there are those who might want to
delay (indefinitely) the creation of any standard in this
area, but I don't think further delay is our mutual
interest.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter