Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Apr 9 15:21:09 EDT 1999

Michael,

See my comment below.

Carl-Uno

--- snip, snip -----

> That leads to the other question - if I give my customer the option
> of using Basic authentication, and IPP/1.1 mandates Digest but not
> Basic, then what guarantees do I have that IPP client X will be able
> to talk to my server?

I think you have given us enough reason to also make Basic a SHALL in
IPP/1.1.
I don't think this will not put any extra burden on implementers.
I think that implementers of IPP/1.0 are well advised to also include Digest
in anticipation of IPP/1.1.