Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Tue Apr 27 13:24:05 EDT 1999

Carl,
There are many ways to get a pretty good time value.  From sniffing the HTTP
traffic to using a time server.  Printers can have their time set via a
console or web page.  They could ask
"http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl".  they could use a GPS
module...I hear they are getting pretty cheap.
I do not believe requiring dateTime attributes will be an undue burden on
printer implementations.  It will be useful to IPP client applications.
Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX
				Xerox Architecture Center