harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 27 19:29:55 EDT 1999

I don't agree. I think we're taking an unnecessarily convoluted approach to
standards progression by trying to keep our feet in two separate sets of
(hardened and hardening) concrete at the same time. A new version of a
specification is the current definition of that specification. Of course,
it supersedes or obsoletes the old definition just like every 7 years your
new skin has obsoleted your old skin but you still look (pretty much ;-)
like you.

Are there tangible examples of previous occurrence of this thing we are
trying to achieve? Like, if I wanted to implement SNMPv1, today, should I
expect to find it completely defined in the SNMPv3 documentation?  (Gee...
I hope not... and if so... why?).

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl at us.ibm.com