kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 28 11:53:00 EDT 1999

> Reading draft-ietf-ipp-model-v11-0201.txt, section 3.2.2, "Print-URI
> Operation", it looks like it's an implementation decision whether to pull
> the data from the document-uri at job submission time or at job
processing
> time.  Say I decide to pull the data at job submission time.  Say I get
> some kind of error doing so, like no-route-to-host, or HTTP 404.
Shouldn't
> I return some kind of error status?  Currently, it looks like I have to
> return successful-ok as long as the "document-uri" uses a scheme I
support,
> regardless of whether or not I can actually get the document data.
>
>      -Carl

Let's consider the flip side and say I don't try to pull the document data
until job processing time (could be hours or days after job submission
time).  Again, suppose I encounter some problem like unknown-hostname,
no-route-to-host, or HTTP 404.  What are the appropriate "job-state" and
"job-state-reasons"?  From section 4.3.7, it looks like the answer is
'aborted', 'aborted-by-system', which doesn't give the client much to go on
for understanding why the job failed.  Even the "job-state-message"
attribute is restricted from containing additional information not
contained in the "job-state" and "job-state-reasons" attributes.

     -Carl