kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon May 3 17:26:45 EDT 1999

Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=5701
> We discussed this idea at the New Orleans meeting and again on the
telecon
> last Wednesday.  While it does solve the problem of not needing the
> "printer-up-time" attribute, there was objection to job attributes that
need
> recomputing each time the job is queried.
>
> We already have one of those: "number-of-intervening-jobs" and it has
proved
> to be a pain.

I would say there are a lot more than one of those, depending on your
definition of "recompute".

At a minimum, "job-state", "job-state-reasons", and "number-of-documents",
are dynamic job attributes.  Then there are optional dynamic job attributes
like "job-message-from-operator", "job-state-message", and
"output-device-assigned", "job-k-octets-processed",
"job-impressions-completed", and "job-media-sheets-completed".  I can't see
how these are any easier to compute than elapsed time.  A subtraction is
one of the easiest and cheapest operations you can do on any  processor I
know of (including some ancient adding machines!).

     -Carl