Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed May 5 20:52:05 EDT 1999

Keith,

a couple of questions have come up in our deliberations about IPP/1.1. Hope
you can give us some guidance on them.

1) Our current IPP/1.1 drafts state that all IPP/1.1 server side
implementations
also MUST support IPP/1.0. Some people have suggested to change that to a
SHOULD.

Is it appropriate for an IETF Proposed Standards document to require
backwards
compatibility to a version described in an Experimental RFC, using
either MUST or SHOULD, or would that violate current IETF practice?

2) In our current IPP/1.1 we state that it uses the ipp:// scheme rather
than the
http:// scheme used in IPP/1.0. In IPP/1.1, we would like to allow the use
of SSL3,
as an OPTION in addition to any mandated IPP/1.1 security.

Will it be OK to also mention the use of SSL3, and the associated https://
scheme
in the IPP/1.1 version (assuming that we do not want to create an ipps://
scheme)?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com