IPP> ADM - One more version of IPP/1.1

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jun 16 15:24:44 EDT 1999

All,

After consultation today with Scott Bradner, who is the author of RFC2026 on
the Internet Standards Process and a member of the IESG, we have decided to
avoid going through the Variance Procedure earlier discussed (to allow us to
make a SHOULD reference to the IPP/1.0 documents).

Instead, we will replace the SHOULD with some background rationale and use
wording like "strongly recommended" instead, which the IESG can treat as a
non-normative reference, and hence avoid the whole process of going through
the Variance Procedure.

Hence, Tom will produce yet another set of almost identical drafts with a
new version number. Once they are out, we can send the drafts to the IESG.
This will cost us another week or two right now, but is expected to save a
lot of time for the IESG process.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com