IPP> Re: Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Fri Jun 25 16:58:33 EDT 1999

Hi Carl,

I wasn't arguing for the SNMP solution per se, so much as painting
alternatives.  I agree that an IETF (or simply PWG) Printer MIB
and Job Mon MIB extension for system admin would take a LONG TIME.
I'm not advocating it.

Personally I agree that we let this camel into the tent back when
Pause/ResumePrinter and PurgeJobs were added last year.  Half of
system admin is STILL system admin, just not so useful.  Adding
DPA Pause/ResumePrinter but NOT adding ShutdownPrinter doesn't
make any sense.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North

PS - I also agree with Carl-Uno that at least several vendors
will wind up doing immediate private SA extensions unless they
are addressed in IETF IPP, so we should get on with the work.