Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jun 29 17:22:22 EDT 1999

I agree with Harry, that if the spec meets this requirement, it is an
OPTIONAL feature for a Printer to support.

Several questions about this requirement:

How important is meeting this requirement?

Can this requirement be met by specifying for each event a corresponding
standard set of attributes that are appropriate, including some OPTIONAL
attributes that MUST be sent if supported, as in the current spec?  And then
allowing additional attributes not in the set to be requested to be sent,
but as an OPTIONAL feature, i.e., an OPTIONAL attribute in the subscription
request that names the additional attributes to be included in the event
report?

What applications would use this OPTIONAL feature?  The most compelling
argument is for an accounting application to be able to specify which
attributes to include (in addition to the standard set for the
'job-complete' event).  Another might be an operator's application.  In both
cases, subscription is done with the Subscribe-Printer operation,
independent of job submission.  Thus the optional "notify-event-attributes"
operation attribute would only need to be added to the Subscript-Printer
operation.

Nit,
Since this OPTIONAL attribute is specify the attributes to be sent in the
event report, how about the name "notify-report-attributes", instead of
"notify-attributes" or "notify-event-attributes"?

Tom