Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jul 13 19:19:15 EDT 1999

Don,

This discussion is why we do Requirements.

Why don't you think that the notification that we have in the current specs
don't have enough reliability for accounting?  It would seem to me that the
TCP/IP notification delivery method which opens a channel and keeps it open
is pretty darn reliable.  Of course, the number of such channels would be an
implementation and/or a site policy decision, as would establishing the
authorization of which applications could use this method.

In fact, the group agreed at one point to make the TCP/IP delivery method a
REQUIRED method to implement (of course, that might change).

I agree that we wouldn't want the IPP notification spec to force printers to
stop printing if the accounting channel wasn't accepting notifications.  In
fact, we might just omit specing how the policy is established all together
about which applications are accounting and what happens when events can't
be delivered to them, leaving all this up to private implementation.  But
lets not rule out accounting as a Scenario and a requirement.

Tom