Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Sep 23 12:04:52 EDT 1999

I certainly agree with the clarification that 'none' MUST NOT have a suffix.

Let me test my understanding about the other values though for which there
is no change from the assumption that with no suffix, client and Printer
assume that it is an 'error'.  For example, for the case of the
Pause-Printer operation which REQUIRES that the printer add the 'paused'
value to the "printer-state-reasons", which suffix are implementations
adding, if any:

  'paused'
  'paused-report'
  'paused-warning'
  'paused-error'

Some people consider that when an operator pauses the printer with the
Pause-Printer operation that it is an error (because the printer is
stopped),  some might consider it a warning because the printer can't print
until it is resumed but it isn't an error, and some might consider it a
report, since the system didn't detect any error.  The easiest
implementation would be not to add a suffix at all ever (but that might
impact .

So are client implementers happy with the resolution that they had better be
able to accept all four keywords (or parse away the suffix)?

Same question for the 'moving-to-paused' value (which is only REQUIRED if
pausing takes a "significant amount of time").  Which suffix are
implementations adding, if any:

  'moving-to-paused'
  'moving-to-paused-report'
  'moving-to-paused-warning'
  'moving-to-paused-error'

Again, are client implementers happy with the resolution that they had
better be able to accept all four keywords (or parse away the suffix)?

The intent of our proposal was to reduce the number of keywords by 75% and
clarify which are reports, and which are warnings/errors.

Thanks,
Tom