Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Nov 8 12:26:20 EST 1999

Ron,

I think Keith is suggesting that we use a different port and that we won't
have much of a problem making the case:

>                                 if you don't want to
>   use the same port as for IPP (and I can imagine instances where this
>   would cause problems) then you should allocate another port.

and:

Personally, I don't think you have to make a big case for allocating
another port.  Indeed, I would be surprised if you wanted to reuse
the IPP port for notifications.

A server that receives notifications is different than a printer server.
If you were to operate both on the same host, you might want them to
be different processes (perhaps even supplied by different vendors),
which implies that they need to be different ports.

We need to remember that there are always two firewall administrators
involved with any interaction:

1. The outbound administrator
2. The inbound administrator

We have to have both allowing traffic, or the traffic doesn't get through.

Tom