Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Mon Nov 8 20:05:36 EST 1999

Paul,

Positioning "ipp://" to become a symmetrical protocol (or at least bi-directional - i.e., communication can be initiated by both IPP client and printer) at first glance sounds like a nifty idea.  Outside notification, though, what kind of operations are you thinking of for the printer to initiate?  Would they fall under the "print" realm or are they in fact different protocols (e.g., accounting)?

-Hugo

>>> "Paul Moore" <pmoore at peerless.com> 11/06/99 02:53PM >>>
The alternative is to use GENA - currently an I-D if we only want notifications.

My point was the the reverse channel may be useful for all sorts of things other
than notifications. IN this case it makes sense to use ipp protocol and ipp
scheme