IPP> issues with restart job

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Thu Nov 11 08:30:07 EST 1999

Sandeep,
Comments included below.
Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX
				Xerox Architecture Center
				Email: Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
				Voice:    (716) 265-8755
				FAX:      (716) 265-8792
				US Mail: Peter Zehler
				        Xerox Corp.
				        800 Phillips Rd.
				        M/S 139-05A
				        Webster NY, 14580-9701

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandeep Kamath [mailto:sandeep at teil.soft.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 7:01 AM
To: ipp at pwg.org
Subject: IPP> issues with restart job

Hi all,

 I have a couple of doubts :

1) Restart on a Create-Job request:
Assume I give a Create-Job request along with a set of 5 documents . All
the documents get printed and the job state is moved to completed . I
issue a Restart-Job request on the job. Now the issue is that, if  I try
to  add new documents to the restarted job ,will the Ipp Server permit me
to do so or  return "client-error-not-possible " and again print those 5
jobs.
PZ> A job can not move to the 'completed' state until all the documents
PZ> have been processed.  The 'last-document' flag indicates when the
PZ> last document for a job is being sent from the client.  This is
PZ> the semantic equivalent of closing a job.  No documents may be
PZ> added once a job is closed. Section 3.3.7 of the IPPv1.1 model
PJ> states "The job is moved to the 'pending' job state and restarts
PZ> the beginning on the same IPP Printer object with the same attribute
PZ> values." 'number-of-documents' is a job attribute.

2) Restart on a Print-URI request that was completed :
If  I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "completed"  ,
does the IPP Server need to down load the file again or proceed with a
file that it had already downloaded.
PZ> The IPP job does not contain any data, only a reference.  The job
PZ> data resides where ever the URL indicates.  Although the specification
PZ> does not prohibit caching of print data caching may introduce
PZ> inconsistent behavior with other IPP implementations.

3) Restart on a Print-URI request that was aborted while downloading the
URI :
 If  I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "aborted" (
due to download failing )  , does the IPP Server need to down load the
file again or return "client-error-not-possible ".
PZ> It should attempt to retrieve the job again.  The 'print-uri' does
PZ> necessarily mean download.  A client may upload the file to the
PZ> printer via FTP.  The URL used in 'print-uri' could have a method
PZ> of 'file://'

Regards,

Sandeep Kamath
Software Engineer - Design & Development
TATA ELXSI LTD.
Bangalore,
India.

Ph:  8410222