IPP> Automatic driver installation problems

Matt Hildred matth at imagetechdev.com
Thu Nov 18 09:43:59 EST 1999

Hi all,

I am currently developing a software IPP server, but I am having some
trouble with the printer-driver-installer attribute. I am using the
Windows 2000 IPP client to test our server, which is running on NT4.
During the process of creating a connection to an IPP printer on Windows
2000, the Add Printer Wizard seems to ignore the uri I am passing back
in the printer-driver-installer attribute of the get-printer-attributes
response. Instead the Windows 2000 client asks to install the drivers
locally from disk.

I understand that the driver installation process is not within the IPP
scope, so how are other IPP clients handling the
printer-driver-installer attribute? Does each client handle it in a
specific way, or is there some sort of universal standard for initiating
an installer? Any help or info on this matter would be much appreciated!

Best regards
Matt Hildred
Software Developer
Image Technologies Developments plc.