Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Nov 29 17:05:38 EST 1999

Here are the meeting minutes from the IETF46 meeting of the IPPEXT BOF.

Thanks to Don Wright for taking the notes.

Don gave me his draft a while ago, I am the one who have dragged my feet
getting the participants added. Blame me or the turkeys...

I have also uploaded the text at:

	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/IETF46-IPPEXT-Min.txt

I realize that we still have problems with the slides, apparently my second
attempt was no better than the first one.
I will keep on trying to figure out a way of getting a readable file for
Acrobat 3...

Carl-Uno

-----

IPP Extensions BOF (ippext)
IETF 46, Washington DC
November 9, 1999

Chair:     Carl-Uno Manros      Xerox, USA
Notetaker: Don Wright           Lexmark, USA

Participants:
           Ron Bergman          Digital Products, USA
           Jacqueline Blanchard Siemens, Germany
           Josh Cohen           Microsoft, USA
           Lee Farrell          Canon, USA
           Andre Florequin      CNET, France
           Steve Hanna          Sun, USA
           Shuji Ishii          NEC, Japan
           Ryuji Iwazaki        Toshiba, Japan
           Janet ????           AT&T, USA
           Cie Kanaide          Toyocom, Japan
           John Klensin         Wcom, USA
           Masahito Komoto      Ohnolab, Japan
           Keith Lamond         Concert, USA
           Scott Lawrence       Agranat, USA
           Jession Little       NTC, US Military
           Toru Maeda           Canon, Japan
           Lloyd McIntyre       Xerox, USA
           Keith Moore          University of Tennessee, USA
           Kenta Shiga          Hitachi, Japan
           Richard Shockey      Shockey Consulting
           Kiyoshi Toyoda       National/Panasonic, Japan
           Randy Turner         2Wire, USA
           Ian Willis           SCO, USA

(Apologies for any misspelling of names and guessing wrong at
organizations!)

Carl-Uno Manros kicked off the meeting at 2:15 PM.

Agenda:
- Review work to date
- Proposed Extensions

Carl-Uno Manros identified 3 areas of potential future activity:

1) IPP Notifications
2) Additional Operations for Operators and Administrators
3) Extensions for Advanced Production Printing

Carl-Uno raised a question on IETF's interest in #2 and #3 above.

Extensions
==========

Notifications:
-------------

- drafts of the notification work were listed and described in some detail
- several different methods of transporting notifications were identified

Drafts are: <draft-ietf-ipp-not-03.txt>
            <draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-01.txt>
            <draft-ietf-ipp-not-http-delivery-00.txt>
            <draft-ietf-ipp-not-over-snmp-00.txt>

Josh Cohen discussed GENA, which is a general notification architecture and
is
currently an individual I-D.

New Operations:
--------------

- draft of the set 2 operations was discussed
- will be divided into 2 documents, 1 dealing with printer objects and the
other
  dealing with device objects
- the plan is to be consistent with the Printer MIB

Draft is:  <draft-ietf-ipp-ops-set2-00.txt>

Question:  Is there a way to release jobs one at a time?
-- Already provided by IPP and the proposed extensions.

Question: What's happening with security on notifications? Could someone
send
page-by-page notifications to a large e-mail list and therefore spam a large
list?
-- Possible and it will have to be addressed.

Comment: Does using HTTP open up a security hole on the client?
-- This will have to be addressed.

Production Printing:
-------------------

- operation and attribute extensions for professional production printing
with
complex jobs

Comment: This kind of extensions is probably outside the scope of interest
of
the IETF.  Keith Moore agreed.

The production printing parts will not be part of the charter of the IPP
extensions working group.

The proposed milestones for IPPEXT were reviewed.
Final version of these milestones will be included in the charter.

Carl-Uno reviewed where IPP is in general:

- IPP V/1.0 Experimental RFC
- Bake-offs, the second held in April 1999
- There are a number of products in the market already based on the 1.0
specs
- The 1.1 Specs were handed to the IESG in the summer; they have not been
  published as RFCs yet.

The meeting adjourned at 3:15 PM

-------

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com