McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Dec 7 19:16:35 EST 1999

Hi Tom and Harry,              Tuesday (7 December 1999)

I generally agree with most of your clarications (below).

I'm concerned about one of them, the ambiguity between
'devices-disabled' (ALL devices are disabled) and the
failure case 'devices-disable-failure' (one or more devices
experienced a failure of 'Disable-Device').  In the failure
case, the state reasons would only indicate that 'disable'
failed for one or more devices (possibly ALL of them),
but would NOT indicate whether 'disable' succeeded for
one or more of the devices (possibly all but ONE of them).

The above ambiguities are the reason I favor saying that
ONLY leaf Printers (one-to-one associated with Devices)
may accept Device operations (these are NOT operations
suitable to the general end user, after all); and neither
Printer nor Device operations may be forwarded.  Then
fan-out is disambiguated entirely, and the 'devices-xxx'
state reasons become 'device-xxx' state reasons in all
cases.

One minor nit:

'devices-quiescent-failed' should have been
    'devices-quiesce-failed' (the verb, not the adjective)

(Also, at the beginning of your point (6) below you said
'devices-xxx-failure' but MEANT and used 'devices-xxx-failed)

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc