Buzzelli, Mark Mark.Buzzelli at usa.xerox.com
Tue Feb 29 14:53:43 EST 2000

All,

In trying to interpret the latest IPP v1.1 Model and Semantics draft on
Event Time Job Description Attributes, the required "time-at" attributes and
"date-time-at" attributes all have the possible state of not occuring for a
given moment of time. In section 4.3.14, it is stated for this situation the
IPP object MUST return the 'no-value' out-of-band value and to refer to the
beginning of Section 4.1. In section 4.1 it states that the VALUE of an
attribute in a response MAY be 'no-value'. Refering to the latest IPP v1.1
Encoding and Transport draft, the syntax tag should be 0x13 and the no-value
value should be used for the supported attribute.

Does this mean that the encoding should be the no-value syntax, followed by
the length of the attribute, followed by the attribute keyword, followed by
the value length of the keyword 'no-val', finally followed by the value
'no-val'? I also have another interpretation, which is similiar to the
unsupported attribute handling, of no-value syntax, length, attribute, value
length of 2 octets and then a value of 0x00. The drafts are not very clear
on the encoding unless I am looking in the wrong sections.

Mark.Buzzelli at usa.xerox.com
GMO / OSG / CO&PS / Internet Services