Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Mar 20 17:06:02 EST 2000

Michael,

There are two new Job Template attributes: "banner-end" and "banner-start"
that CUPS/1.1 is introducing that I was curious about.  It was our intention
that the IPP/1.0 "job-sheets" (type3 keyword | name) Job Template attribute
would perform the function that your two new Job Template attribute are
performing.  While we only had two values defined in IPP/1.0 and IPP/1.1:
'none' and 'standard', we thought that it would be simple to add more values
whenever someone wanted.

In fact, the PWG "Production Printing Attributes, Set1" spec proposes three
new keywords for use with the IPP/1.1 "job-sheets" Job Template attribute:

job-start-sheet	A job sheet MUST be printed to indicate the start of the
job.

job-end-sheet	A job sheet MUST be printed to indicate the end of the job.

job-wrap-sheets	Job sheets MUST be printed to indicate the start and end of
all the output associated with the job.

Wouldn't it be simpler to use these values in CUPS, rather than introducing
two new Job Template attributes?

>From your CUPS spec:

4.1.1 Print-Job Request

The following groups of attributes are supplied as part of the Print-Job
Request:

Group 1: Operation Attributes

Natural Language and Character Set:
The "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language" attributes as
described in section 3.1.4.1 of the IPP Model and Semantics document.

"printer-uri" (uri):
The client MUST supply a URI for the specified printer.

Group 2: Job Template Attributes

"banner-end" (name(127)):
(CUPS 1.1 and higher)
The client OPTIONALLY supplies a banner page that is printed after any files
in the print job. The name of "none" is reserved to indicate that no banner
page should be printed. If the client does not specify this attribute then
the value of the "banner-end-default" printer object attribute is used.

"banner-start" (name(127)):
(CUPS 1.1 and higher)
The client OPTIONALLY supplies a banner page that is printed before any
files in the print job. The name of "none" is reserved to indicate that no
banner page should be printed. If the client does not specify this attribute
then the value of the "banner-start-default" printer object attribute is
used.

Other Job Template Attributes

Comments?
Tom