McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Aug 15 21:51:59 EDT 2000

Hi,

Jay in his note below and many of the readers on
this list keep confusing and conflating 'real-time'
and 'machine-readable'.  There is NO relationship.

A client could want 'human-readable' status messages
in near 'real-time' (and SNMP print clients get
them every day today from private MIBs).

A client could want store and forward 'machine-readable'
notifications - invoking a reader that's generic
across ALL client-side browsers, email readers, etc.
on a given client operating system, similar to
to Adobe Acrobat Reader - because that client COULD
NOT get the near 'real-time' notification via INDP
due to corporate security policies.

Carl Kugler made the excellent point (adroitly ignored
by others in replying) that typical corporate security
policies completely prohibit HTTP Server side code
in any system that doesn't meet the corporate definition
of 'bastion host'.  Let me be clear - in such an
environment (the most common situation in mid-sized
and large corporations worldwide) it is impossible
for INDP to operate at all.  And 'mailto:' is the
sole RECOMMENDED alternative according to IPP folks.
Of course, they could use Job Mon traps via SNMP...

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc