Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 16 11:01:24 EDT 2000

Jay asked for discussion.

1. This is a VERY old topic.
2. I thought we agreed LONG ago the e-mail notification was for human
readable (only)
3. I thought we agreed LONG ago that real time notification to a client or
"notification manager" application (i.e. machine readable) is desirable
4. I've argued (and proposed) a LONG time ago that, fundamentally, we need
a simple, NATIVE machine readable method (i.e. works using the exact same
infrastructure, no more, no less, as IPP).
5. Several additional machine readable methods have been proposed (INDP,
SNMP, ...).
6. As diversity and choice are great in many context but not so great in
"standards"... a litany of events, discussions, meetings, phone calls and
e-mail have resulted in INDP as the recommended machine readable protocol.

We currently just the Job MIB with SNMP notification (private - as the JMP
team would not allow the definition of Job Traps... now they are defined
for IPP... Odd!). Works fine. Yes, it's shown to be useful and desirable
when facilitating rich end-user job progress and status information.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems