IPP> IIG - Administration issues

Shepherd, Michael MShepherd at crt.xerox.com
Tue Jan 4 09:35:57 EST 2000

Thanks for your feedback.  I agree with you regarding the status-codes.  I
would like further clarification on a couple of points:

| HH> I don't quite understand your question. A printer object
| should describe
| HH> the physical device. If the the device does allow
| transparencies to
| HH> be stabled, then the printer object should support it too. If the
| HH> administrator wants to disable this functionality he should do it
| HH> in the printer object somehow.
                            ~~~~~~~

This is my question.  How does the administrator disable this functionality
in the printer object?  Is this supported through IPP operations, or is a
backdoor method used?

| HH> I can't see any reason to expand the version number. We added the
| HH> 'Validate-job' operation to do what you are looking for.

Validate-job seems like a bulky way to find out if a printer object supports
certain attribute values.  If there are numerous private values which a
printer object may be configured to support, does the admin client
application have to perform a validate-job on each of these potential values
before displaying them to the administrator?  If IPP had a mechanism to
retrieve all configurable values for an Admin client (similar to
Get-Printer-Attributes of xxx-supported for a Submission client), it would
help to make cleaner and simpler IPP Admin Tools.  There are many ways to
accomplish this, one being to make all job template attributes like the
media attribute which includes xxx, xxx-default, xxx-supported, and
xxx-ready.

Thanks!

Mike