Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Tue Jan 11 20:44:14 EST 2000

I would suggest a clarification to the language below. Ultimately,
"read-only" is a taste issue for some attributes.

A Printer vendor is allowed to set an attribute to be read-only if an
attribute can have only one value for the life-time of the printer. But a
Printer vendor need not set such an attribute to be read-only.  The
following are examples where read-only is not suitable:

     The sides-default can only have the value "one-sided" because an admin
set
     sides-supported to "one-sided" only.

     The sides-supported attribute can only have the value "one-sided"
because the
     duplexer has not yet been installed.  But when it is installed,
side-supported
     can also have the value "two-sided-long-edge".

It would be OK for "sides-supported" and "sides-default" to be read-only for
a Printer which a vendor never intends to sell a duplexer for. It would also
be OK for this Printer to have both of these attributes be writeable with
"one-sided" being the value, as specified by the factory setting of
"sides-supported".

Bob Herriot