McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Jan 12 21:41:58 EST 2000

Hi folks,                                    Wednesday (12 January 2000)

Results of review of the SLP 'printer:' template at today's IPP Telecon:

1)  Ron Bergman - his ABNF correction for LPR URL is accepted (see note)

2)  Tom Hastings - his comment for 'printer-location' is accepted, which
    STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that implementations meaningfully populate this
    attribute (see note)

3)  All IPP WG members should review the list of SLP Required and SLP
    Optional attributes (below) and make any final arguments to move an
    Optional up to Required (see tables from SLP 'printer:' spec below).

4)  Final disposition of any further requested changes to the SLP
    'printer:' template will be made at our IPP Telecon in two weeks on
    Wednesday (26 January 2000) - please send comments BEFORE then

5)  SLP 'printer:' template will be converted to an LDAP schema (per the
    I-D from James Kempf, Pete St. Pierre, and Ryan Moats - see below) -
    Harry Lewis (IBM) and Ira McDonald (High North) will collaborate on
    this conversion - the resulting LDAP schema will registered with
    IANA as an industry standard baseline schema for printers (vendors
    may make private extensions, as always) - others who wish to help us
    convert the SLP 'printer:' template to an LDAP schema should send a
    note to this IPP WG mailing list ASAP, please

    ftp://ftp.ietf.org/draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-05.txt
    - "Conversion of LDAP Schemas to and from LDAP Templates"

Note - any SLP 'printer:' template Optional attribute which is omitted
by a registering SLP Service Agent (i.e., printer or server) will be set
to the SLP 'printer:' template default value (usually string 'unknown').
So the COMPLETE set of Required and Optional attributes will always be
available from the SLP Directory Agent for queries by SLP User Agents
(i.e., clients).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc

2. Summary of Required Attributes

Attributes are associated with 'service:' URLs in order to provide a
dynamic search capability to service location clients, not to burden
servers implementations during registrations.

A small subset (8) of the attributes defined in 'printer:' are REQUIRED
in all compliant service registrations by SLP SAs:

SLP Required Attribute                  IPP Generic Directory Schema
----------------------                  ----------------------------
printer-uri-supported                   r
uri-authentication-supported            r
uri-security-supported                  r
printer-name                            r
natural-language-configured             m (SLP enhancement)
natural-language-supported              o (SLP enhancement)
document-format-supported               r
compression-supported                   r

r   RECOMMENDED - Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' IPP Model [3]
    REQUIRED - SLP 'printer:' template
o   OPTIONAL - Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' IPP Model [3]
    REQUIRED - SLP 'printer:' template
m   Missing - Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' IPP Model [3]
    REQUIRED - SLP 'printer:' template

6. Summary of Optional Attributes

Many of the attributes defined in 'printer:' are OPTIONAL in all
compliant service registrations by SLP SAs:

.nf
SLP Optional Attribute                  IPP Generic Directory Schema
----------------------                  ----------------------------
printer-location                        r
printer-info                            o
printer-more-info                       o
printer-make-and-model                  r
ipp-versions-supported                  r
multiple-document-jobs-supported        o
charset-configured                      m (SLP enhancement)
charset-supported                       o
color-supported                         r
finishings-supported                    r
number-up-supported                     o
sides-supported                         r
media-supported                         r
media-local-supported                   m (part of 'media-supported')
pages-per-minute                        o
pages-per-minute-color                  o
printer-resolution-supported            o
print-quality-supported                 o
job-priority-supported                  m (SLP enhancement)
copies-supported                        m (SLP enhancement)
job-k-octets-supported                  m (SLP enhancement)
printer-current-operator                m (from Printer MIB)
printer-service-person                  m (from Printer MIB)
delivery-orientation-supported          m (from Printer MIB)
stacking-order-supported                m (from Printer MIB)
output-features-supported               m (from Printer MIB)

r   RECOMMENDED - Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' IPP Model [3]
    OPTIONAL - SLP 'printer:' template (with specified default)