Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Mar 17 16:57:10 EST 2000

The [ipp-pro] contains the following requirement in section 3.7.1:

A Printer MUST treat the reserved delimiter tags differently from reserved
value tags so that the Printer knows that there is an entire attribute group
that it doesn't understand as opposed to a single value that it doesn't
understand.

So this statement would seem to REQUIRE receivers (clients receiving
attribute group tags (0x00 to 0x0F) until they get another attribute group
tag.  And since the value tags are defined to be in the range (0x10 to 0xFF
- see the ABNF section 3.2).  Thus [ipp-pro] supports what Michael is saying
(below).

However, [ipp-pro] section 3.10 Value Length has the following sentence:

If a value-tag contains an "out-of-band" value, such as "unsupported", the
value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty - the value has no meaning when
the value-tag has an "out-of-band" value.

This statement is certainly true for the IPP/1.1 out-of-band values define
in [ipp-mod] and [ipp-pro].  But what about future out-of-band values, such
as the proposed 'any-value' which takes a value that indicates which
attribute syntax?

If we agree to allow the 'any-value' out-of-band value to have a value, then
we would need to modify this statement in [ipp-pro] to something like the
following:

If a value-tag defined in this document contains an "out-of-band" value,
such as "unsupported", the value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty - the
value has no meaning when the value-tag has an "out-of-band" value.
However, the definition of a future extension out-of-band value MAY have a
non-zero value when there is a value to be associated with the out of band
value tag.

So were do we stand on whether or not to allow future out-of-band tags to
have a non-zero length with a value?

The ABNF in section 3.2 doesn't make any exceptions for out-of-band values.

So far the 'any-value' out-of-band value is proposed to be restricted to the
Get-Printer-Supported-Values response.

However, the 'any-value' out-of-band value might make sense in a
Get-Printer-Attributes response for any "xxx-supported" attribute to
indicate that the System Administrator is suspending validation of that
"xxx-supported" attribute and is allowing the client to supply any value of
the indicated attribute syntax type for the corresponding "xxx" attribute in
a Job Creation request.

Then the 'any-value' out-of-band value would be allowed in a
Set-Printer-Attributes request for a "xxx-supported" attribute.

Comments?

Tom