Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 21 09:19:14 EST 2000

Carl-Uno Manros wrote:

> Jay,
>
> My understanding is that Michael's statement was that he is not
> prepoared to make this kind of change as a last minute change to
> his current release. I did not interpret that as "it can never
> be done". Doing Ira's new objects instead would not have changed
> that I expect.

Nope.

However, to clarify things a bit, I am not a fan of collections *or*
objects right now.

Extensibility is one thing, but at some point you have to look at the
real world and decide if maybe it might be better to create new types
of values that have a specific/fixed format.  Not only is it easier to
implement, but the code is smaller and faster and is more likely to be
usable in an embedded environment.

Thus far we have had two extensions that might be able to use
collections or objects (job-sheets and printer-xri-supported).  There
may be others down the road, but the addition of two new types of
values (which should be ignored by older implementations) would
solve those problems with a lot less work.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com