Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Mar 28 11:27:03 EST 2000

I searched both the Model and the Implementer's Guide and there isn't
anything that explains what "auto-sensing" is.

So, ok to add the following clarification to the [ipp-mod] document in
section 4.1.9.1:

 using an implementation-dependent method that examines some number of
octets of the document data

so that it reads:

4.1.9.1 Application/octet-stream -- Auto-Sensing the document format

One special type is 'application/octet-stream'.  If the Printer object
supports this value, the Printer object MUST be capable of auto-sensing the
format of the document data using an implementation-dependent method that
examines some number of octets of the document data, either as part of the
create operation and/or at document processing time.

Or should we put something similar in the Implementer's Guide, instead?

Tom