Ron Bergman rbergma at hitachi-hkis.com
Wed Apr 12 14:37:55 EDT 2000

Ira,

See my comments below.

    Ron

"McDonald, Ira" wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> Should we take this spec out of the context of the
> IPP WG entirely and work it as a separate (related)
> issue in JMP?

ron> I don't see any advantage to removing this from the
     IPP effort.  We only need to add a justification if
     we decided not to support the full IPP requirements.
     I beleive that it is best to keep this within IPP.

> I agree with you about jmJobState and xxxProcessed.
> Obviously, it's much more compact to sent the
> values for jmGeneralJobSetIndex and jmJobIndex as
> part of the instance qualifier of jmJobState -
> I got carried away.
>
> Also, as I mentioned to Dennis Carney in a recent
> note on Tuesday (4 April), two other attributes in
> the Job table (xxxPerCopyRequested) should also be
> directly referenced (not recreated in Event Bindings
> group).
>
> And by including all of the bindings from the
> IPP Notifications spec for each of the four different
> varieties of traps (device, job-state, job-completed,
> and job-progress) we get (to my mind) traps which
> are OBVIOUSLY not consistent with the SNMP philosophy
> of lightweight trap bindings.

ron> This is the basis of my concern!  If we can get back
     to a "reasonable weight" trap I would feel much better.

> In particular, I'm thinking that we should remove from
> the mandatory bindings all the 'jmEventSubscriber...'
> objects - they're too IPP specific and useless in other
> contexts (every other job submission protocol in
> existence).

ron> Good! These two objects are strings, which could be
     very long.  I will review the remainder and try to
     generate a list of any additional ones that could
     be candidates for removal.