IPP> RE: <draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt>

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu May 25 16:32:00 EDT 2000

Surendra,

I have looked through your recent Internet-Draft
<draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt> on notifications.

Although you seem to have aligned your proposal mostly with the WebDAV
solution, you also mention that it could potentially be used also for the
Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).

As you might be aware we have struggled with the definition of Notifications
for IPP for more than a year in the IPP WG and are close to wrapping up the
subject.

You may want to take a look at our latest I-Ds on Notifications in IPP.

They are:

IPP Event Notification Specification
<draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-02.txt>

which describes the overall model and what we call the subscription part of
the notification mechanism.

We have also designed several alternative methods for the delivery of
notifications. The method closest to your proposed protocol can be found in
the following two drafts:

IPP Notification Delivery Protocol (INDP)
<draft-ietf-ipp-indp-00.txt>

The INDP Notification Delivery Method
<draft-ietf-ipp-indp-method-00.txt>

Note that these documents are currently being revised, but they should still
give you a sense for the direction in which we are moving.

We would be interested in getting your comments about how far apart you
think we are. There are some obvious differences at present, such as our
subscription mechanism, which might be unique to IPP, and the fact that you
are using XML, while we are not.

I think that if you want to make a claim that your solution could cover IPP
as well as WebDAV, there are probably a few things missing from your
solution. As we provide for a number of different notification delivery
methods, I would expect that it could be easier to reach some level of
commonality in that area.

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair of the IETF IPP WG

Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com