Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Wed Jun 21 11:16:32 EDT 2000

Carl-Uno & All,

We do not need the final version of the specification to carry on a
discussion of the requirements for selecting a mandated notification
mechanism for IPP.  The final tweaks to the document should not stand in the
way of this group arriving at a final decision for this issue.  The
modifications that are going to be made to the INDP document have already
been listed on the mailing list.  The recommendation for the mandated IPP
notification mechanism has also been  sent out on the list.  I just have not
seen any discussion on it and wanted to make sure that it does get discussed
and resolved.  We have a Bake-Off coming in which notification is slated to
be tested.  The sooner we get closure on this, the sooner implementation can
proceed.

My preference is that INDP be mandated.  I feel that programmatic
notification is critical to the development of robust IPP applications.  One
of those applications would be QUALDOCS.  In the definition of IPP, and its
associated notification mechanism, I am concerned primarily with client
/server communications.  End user notification, while useful, is not my
primary objective.  It is true that infrastructure will have to be
configured to allow this traffic to pass.  The same is true of outbound IPP
requests. I imagine that most of our printers will also implement mailto.  I
have no objections to allowing both, but I think only one should be
mandated.

Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX