harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 23 11:57:07 EDT 2000

Paul's argument is based on the premise that

>notifications are a) optional and b) not always going to work

I think Paul's position supports working the kinks out of a couple good
potential notification schemes.

Stuart, you said it yourself...

>Making things mandatory is intended to guarantee interoperability

Maybe our problem is that we have yet to describe a notification method
that we feel sure enough will work that we're willing to make it mandatory
and expect everyone to implement. How could we have introp tested IPPv1.0
if there had been no mandatory operations?

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

Stuart Rowley <Stuart.Rowley at ktd-kyocera.com>
Sent by: owner-ipp at pwg.org