henrik.holst at i-data.com henrik.holst at i-data.com
Mon Jun 26 10:45:14 EDT 2000

Yes. and a printer that can't spool would do exactly the same with
the IPP job request connection. So this is not a new behavior.

Henrik

Jay Martin <jkm at underscore.com> on 26-06-2000 16:17:39

Please respond to jkm at underscore.com

To:   henrik.holst at i-data.com
cc:   don at lexmark.com, ipp at pwg.org

Subject:  Re: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification agreement

You're assuming that the printer is (essentially) idle
when you submit your job, such that the printer immediately
starts processing your job.

But what if there are *many* jobs in front of yours such
that an hour or two would pass by before your job is started?
This can happen on quality color printers, for example.

One could easily imagine this happening at a commercial
establishment, such as Kinko's, Sir Speedy, etc.

     ...jay

henrik.holst at i-data.com wrote:

> [...]
> What you are talking about, Don, is when I would like to monitoring your
> printer,
> but it's normal only the operator/administrator and I'm only an end user.
>
> Henrik
>
> don at lexmark.com@pwg.org on 23-06-2000 14:03:56
>
> Sent by:  owner-ipp at pwg.org
>
> To:   henrik.holst at i-data.com
> cc:   Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com, ipp at pwg.org
>
> Subject:  RE: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification agreement
>
> I bet all the Firewall Admins will love all those persistant connections
> (hours
> long?)  through their firewalls.

> * Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
> * Chair, Printer Working Group               *
> * Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
> *                                            *
> * Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances  *
> * Lexmark International                      *
> * 740 New Circle Rd                          *
> * Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
> * 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax)    *
> * (Former area code until 10/1 was 606)      *
>
> henrik.holst%i-data.com at interlock.lexmark.com on 06/23/2000 07:48:13 AM
>
> To:   Peter.Zehler%usa.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com
> cc:   ipp%pwg.org at interlock.lexmark.com (bcc: Don Wright/Lex/Lexmark)
> Subject:  RE: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification agreement
>
> Maybe it would help a lot if we had a method which use HTTP as transport,
> but the
> client did the connection to the server and the server could send
> notification event
> on this connection. The client don't poll the server, but gets
asynchronous
> events
> from the server.
> This would of course only work if the notification subscriber and
> the notification recipient is the same.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Henrik
>
> "Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com>@pwg.org on 23-06-2000
13:16:15

> Sent by:  owner-ipp at pwg.org
>
> To:   henrik.holst at i-data.com, ipp at pwg.org
> cc:
>
> Subject:  RE: IPP> TES: Mandatory IPP notification agreement
>
> All,
>
> Another problem I have with a notification mechanism that uses HTTP in
the
> other direction (i.e. printer to client) is that it is difficult for the
> print client to discover if his infrastructure will permit the
> communication.  How will the client check to see if notification is
> possible
> to his location on the Internet?  The only ways I know are prior
knowledge
> or to poll the printer to see if you miss an event.
>
> For this reason, and others, I am in favor of mandating email.  I want to
> finish up INDP so it may be tested at the Bake-Off along with email.
INDP
> will be useful when we really start working on QUALDOCS.  I would hope
that
> "mailto://" and "indp://" would both be valid in notification
> registrations.
> Let the customer decide which is appropriate a given circumstance.
>
> Pete
>
>                     Peter Zehler
>                     XEROX
>                     Xerox Architecture Center