IPP> Notifiaction spec [fixed contents]

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri Jul 21 11:14:12 EDT 2000

Hi Paul,

A fixed set of notification contents is what we DID have
until recently - the set grew larger and larger by the
usual committee process - it became impossible to send
machine-readable conformant notifications in many existing
notification protocols (eg, SNMP) which typically operate
over connectionless transports.

So we threw OUT all the fixed bindings and let the client
request attributes.  The IPP Printer always explicitly
advertises which attributes may be requested in the
notifications, so there is no ambiguity.

If we go back to fixed notification content, we'll take
another six months to agree on the list (if ever...) and
we won't have ANY notification delivery methods to test
at the IPP/1.1 Bakeoff in October 2000.  That would be bad!