Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM kugler at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 24 12:15:28 EDT 2000

Bob wrote:
> [...]

That's fine with me, but I thought the "lease" mechanism in "ippget" used
the "begin-to-expire-time-interval" attribute, which I thought you wanted
to remove.  Maybe we need a different (optionally settable) Printer
attribute, like "maximum-guaranteed-notification-retention-time".
Alternatively, we could specify a fixed constant in the standard, similar
to TCP's TTL (maximum "Time To Live", specified as 2 minutes).

Also, [really getting into details now] if we remove the
"suggested-ask-again-time-interval" guidance, we should probably emphasize
that clients should follow the proper HTTP "8.2.4 Client Behavior if Server
Prematurely Closes Connection", which is "binary exponential backoff", so
that Printers in distress don't get overwhelmed with connections.

     -Carl