Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 21 13:39:56 EDT 2000

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:

> Are you guys talking about receipt of event notifications or
> receipt of the printed job output indicated as a Job object
> attribute and banner page text?

Right now I'm more concerned with notification.  As I've pointed
out before, you can already do the "manual" specification of a
recipient via a cover page.  Just adding an attribute for the
recipient doesn't automate things much - the notification will
be the feature that will make it worthwhile.

> If event notifications, what events (job held or job completed or
> what?) and how is the event specified?  Hopefully in some
> Per-Printer or Per-Job Subscription.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a per-printer (or in the case
of CUPS, also a per-server) subscription so that you can be notified
when a new job is created, processed, and/or completed (depending on
what you use it for) and take the appropriate action.

Per-job notifications would have to be initiated by the sender,
which I think can be handled properly by the current spec without
a new attribute...

I guess the main change to the current notification scheme would be
to allow for a filter of some sort (e.g. job-created-mine event)
for per-printer subscriptions.  Then you'd only receive notifications
for jobs created by you or destined for you.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com