McDonald, Ira IMcDonald at crt.xerox.com
Fri Oct 20 15:49:54 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

New at the IETF RFC repository:

2978 IANA Charset Registration Procedures. N. Freed, J. Postel.
     October 2000. (Format: TXT=21615 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC2278) (Also
     BCP0019) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

2979 Behavior of and Requirements for Internet Firewalls. N. Freed.
     October 2000. (Format: TXT=14350 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

I spent yesterday evening reading RFC 2979 - _highly_ recommended.
A wonderful brief overview of the issues around content filtering
in firewalls (and application layer bridges).

RFC 2978 tightens up the existing rules for registering a new
'charset' (character set and encoding) with IANA, for use in
MIME, HTTP, IPP, and many other protocols that now have 'charset'
tagging.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc